The Great Australasian Beer Spectapular was excellent, don’t let any talk of long waits for beers or other negative comments put any other thoughts in your head. This was an awesome event. The beers, the food, the layout, the venue, the fact that it was about beer tasking and enjoyment rather than some sort of trade display. Also personally I love the idea of a shipping container with 60 taps sticking out of it. I want one.
After GABS I kicked on a bit, few more beers, more discussion about beer, and I think I ended up agreeing to do a half marathon. Thats not good, however a mate has to do the same distance with a dwarf on his back. Not sure that’ll happen. Anyway I am a bit hungover today so I’ll go straight to it and list my tastings with the comments I wrote down. The way I attached the beers was a paddle of fruity and belgo, a paddle of IPA, a black paddle, a sour paddle and a greatest hits what havent I had paddle. I also had a burito 🙂
- Croucher ANZUS – 2 ticks, a nice Kiwi IPA
- Epic Zythos – Very Good, resiny and citrusy with a nice balanced bitterness
- Liberty S!mcoe – OK but dank, bitter but not awesome, very simcoe but not the fresh simcoe flavor
- 8 Wired C4 – Soren Ericksen I love you, great coffee sweet espresso taste
- Garage Project Double Day of the Dead – Could get lost in this beer, chocloaty yummy complex hot chocolate
- Invercargill Red Hot Chocolate – 2 ticks, late hit chilli warming
- The Mussel Inn Smoking Swine – Smoky and Meaty, box of matches and some bacon
- Yeasty Boys B – Gunnamatta – Very Good, subtle and good bitterness
- 4 Pines Beetroot Belgian Ale – Not Purple!, spicy but not any beetroot.
- Doctors Orders Plasma – Nice, sweet and fruity, not really my thing
- Hop Dog Children of Darkness – Very complex beer, not really like other IBA’s
- Illawarra Saison Rouge – 2 ticks, Belgian yeast, good and fruity
- Lord Nelson Last Consignment
- Murray’s Bobs Farmhouse Ale – not a saison, could get shitfaced on this
- The Mash Collective Amasia – interesting but not very rummy
- Wig and Pen This Beers not really craft – 3 ticks, bit thin but complex, thankyou very much, nice
- Bright Resistance Red Ale – 3 ticks, really really good balance, not extreme but excellent
- Hargreaves Hill La Grisette – OK, light body, jammy
- Holgate Gruit Expectations – OK, not bad, cinnamon
- Kooinda Karaka Bier – cordiall and fruity
- Moon dog Mr Mistoffelees – Thats what I want, Sour and tart, 3 ticks, yes thankyou (had 2 of these)
- True South Coconut Telegraph Porter – 2 ticks, best beer I’ve had from true south, I am happy, tastes of 2 fruits
- Seven Sheds Black Elephant – Spicy/aniseed
- Ferral watermelon Warhead – Very nice beer, light fizzy, melony and tart
- Nail Brewing SledgehammerIPA – bitter but not awesome, well attenuated and growing on me.
So there it is, there were a few other beers later on but that’s enough of a list for now. My favorites were the beers by Moondog, 8wired, Illawarra, Yeastie Boys and the Garage Project, but I also didnt have any I didnt like.
Might be time to think about another coffee. Well done GABS, that was a great day, looking forward to seeing you again next year, might even do two sessions.