Following my previous posts on Australian Ale I had been looking to attempt my own form of a style revival. Well its not really a style revival, more like brewing a recipe from about 1870, a beer that could or would (I’d like to think) have been shipped to Australia from old blighty. this was all prompted by a post on Zylophite, and a recipe provided by Arcticalchemy that has led me to what looks more or less like an English barley wine. I took the recipe provided by Arcticalchemy, did some scaling, added some more hops and the result is now fermenting in my spare room. The yeast has taken off beautifully and is now at foaming along, looking more or less like the foam on the beach on a rough day. magnificent.
So to the recipe
Australian Ale -Recreation Ale
4.10 kg Marris Otter Pale (5.9 EBC) Grain 41.62 %
3.30 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) US (3.9 EBC) Grain 33.50 %
1.00 kg Amber Malt (43.3 EBC) Grain 10.15 %
0.40 kg Brown Malt (128.1 EBC) Grain 4.06 %
0.30 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (236.4 EBC) Grain 3.05 %
90.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (90 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 58.1 IBU
20.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops –
50.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (20 min) Hops 9.9 IBU
0.75 kg Dememera Sugar (3.9 EBC) Sugar 7.61 %
British Ale (Wyeast Labs #1098) [Starter 750 ml]
This was all mashed at 64deg C, with some chalk and gypsum thrown in. I collected 30liters preboil at about 1.077, then gave it a 90 minute boil before ending up with 22litres at about 1.099, just short of the magical 1.100, dam. By the numbers its about 65 IBU’s and will be about 10% abv, a nice small beer.
|hungry yeast eating barley wine sugar|